Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

{Devilishly Delicious Deviled Eggs}

I wanted to make something really classic for Thanksgiving.  I thought Deviled Eggs would play this part while offering an appetizer that was a little hardier without being too filling.  This was very important for Matt who would otherwise be snacking from the pantry prior to dinner.

My Deviled Egg Math - This recipe starts with 7 eggs, which makes 14 halves, which makes enough to fill my egg plate that has 12 spots, plus one to taste test for seasoning and one because I have a friend named Lea who is a Deviled Egg sneak (before the paprika is sprinkled, of course.)


Two important tips when making hard boiled eggs.  One, don't use super fresh eggs because they don't peel well.  Two, always start with your eggs in cold water so they cook evenly.

Start with your eggs in cold water and turn your heat to medium-high.  You can add a little vinegar if you like.  I have heard it helps them peel easier and I am all about that!


Let the water come to a slow boil for about a minute



Then turn off the heat, cover with a lid, and let sit for 10 minutes.


After the ten minutes, move your eggs to an ice bath until they are completely cooled.


Carefully crack, peel, and cut your eggs in half.
Put your yolks into a bowl with plenty of room for smashing and mixing.
Notice how the eggs are nicely yellow with no green.  This is from cooking them slowly and not overcooking.  I find that this method gives the best texture.


At this point add your fixings.
1/4 cup, plus 1 Tblsp mayonnaise
1 tsp ground mustard
1 heaping Tblsp relish (I like sweet)
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
a dash of tumeric
(The tumeric gives an earthy, slightly gingery flavor that adds a little something extra)


Now mash and mix.


I like to add a dash or two of hot sauce, but this is optional.


Today I am piping my filling, but you can just as easily dollop with a spoon.
I am using a pastry bag, but you can also put the filling into a plastic bag and snip off the end.

A couple of tips - 
Put the bag over a glass to hold it still while you fill (You would think I was making green eggs and ham with that little rhyme)
Choose a tip (or cut a whole) that is large enough to pipe the filling.  It is a bit thick and you also have to account for the relish pieces.


Squeeze from the back slightly until all of the air is out and pipe away!


The almost finished product.  Now, to sprinkle, or not to sprinkle.
Lea doesn't like paprika so I am getting creative.

There was a little cayenne pepper mishap a few years ago so check the label twice.


A little foil tent will keep a couple safe for her.



And they are finished.  Either serve right away or you can chill for later.


If you do want to chill them without smushing them, feel free to cover them with foil, aka intergalactic spaceship.

I put tooth picks on a few of the outer eggs and put a little foil ball on top to keep them from poking through the foil.


Then cover and chill. 


Final tip:  When I made these for Thanksgiving, I made the eggs a couple days before and finished prepping them the morning of.  This helped me spread out some of the work.

{Enjoy!}

No comments:

Post a Comment